March 15, 2022
The countdown to the season has well and truly started.
It has been great seeing coaches and players putting in the hard yards during the week, with great numbers for our first few weeks of preseason. We still have a bunch of work to do and I encourage you to reach out to anyone keen to have a run this season and get them along to preseason.
It is hard to ignore the elephant in the room, Covid-19, which is starting to peak in our community. I want to wish all our players and their families all the best as we navigate through this uncertain time. We have a great network within our club, so do not hesitate to reach out if you need some help through this time.
With case numbers rising, TRFU has decided to push the season start date out to 7th May with a North and South comp followed by a full round of competition. Whilst it is never ideal pushing the season out, the decision will help us to build strong teams and be in the best position to back up the success of recent years. Read on below for more detail.
At a board level, we are excited to welcome some fresh faces with Adara Segedin joining us as Rugby Manager, Aaron Boslem joining us to help with Marketing and Communications, and Matt Burgess joining us as Rugby Development Officer. It is great to have a new crop of volunteers to help shape the future of our club.
We have another huge year to look forward too and I am looking forward to seeing the season kick off soon.
Keith Mawson, NPOB Rugby Chairman.
2022 Season Update
TRFU and club chairs have voted to delay the start of the 2022 senior rugby season in order to ensure teams are in the best position to field teams and be competitive in what will be another tight contest across the grades.
Taranaki Trophy: (Premier, Colts and Div 1)
- Rugby will begin 7th May – standalone Taranaki Trophy, Maunga v Moana. (First three weeks of round 1)
- Maunga – Southern, Stratford-Eltham, Inglewood & Clifton
- Moana – Coastal, Spotswood, Tukapa & NPOB
- Depending on COVID environment this can be preseason or fully competitive, encompass all grades or feature hybridised grades.
- Teams will play 3 matches against other teams in their pool with the winner decided on standing.
- Teams that have 2 home games in the Taranaki Trophy phase will have 3 home games in the championship round
- 7-week competition (points not carried over from TT)
- Round two of initial draw
- Semis and finals as per usual to be hosted at Yarrow Stadium
Pre-season training will continue on Tuesday and Thursday at 6pm. Make sure you get around the boys who arent showing up and get them down!
For more details or assistance regarding specific individual training programmes, get in touch with the coaches below:
Prems: Andy (0274353022) & Daniel (0276970945)
Div 1: Matt (0275551291)
Colts: Ross (0274712397)
The NZR have mandated COVID-19 vaccination passes for all 15-a-side teenage and senior rugby competitions.
This applies to players, referees, coaches, and management.
In line with this NPOB will be requiring vaccination passes for all pre-season training, matches & club events for U13’s and above.
Any enquiries reach out to your coach or Sonia Cloke 027-275-4944